Featured Post

Reflections on June 8th, 2012:

Moving into the rest of our life………… Over the last several years Alice and I have been “wintering” with our motor-home at a campground i...

Sunday, September 30, 2018

Cutting the TV cord, October 1, 2018.

It’s been a LONG two years.  Like many of us, I’ve run the whole gamut of internet connectivity on TV’s…
.from  coax cable to Worldnet to At&t's U Verse….to complete frustration and
a switch, two years ago tomorrow, to Direct TV Satellite (also owned by AT&T).  
The DirectV experience has not been great. Contrary to what I was told even t
he threat of a storm knocks the satellite tv OFF. Yes, you can set up to go
down a channel and off HD and have a good possibility on continued coverage
BUT….it’s been a gigantic pain in the arse.  SO bad in fact I made a note on
my computer (Google) calendar to DUMP it as of 10-1-2018 when the AT&T
Satellite contract ran out….
Also, like many families we have a variety of TV’s in the house.  A modern
Vizio Smart TV in the LR, an older large screen Samsung in the BR, an ancient tv\
in the spare room that’s connected to an antenna since there is no HDMI input….

My first thought was to drop the Direct TV service and go to Hulu Live.  That would
give me the MSNBC news show we use, plus the few other channels Alice uses for
entertainment (HGTV ?).  Problem is, was, that Hulu Live does NOt work on our
Smartcast TV unless we CAST to it...it's not native. So, we found SLING Tv, and that
DOES work.  I purchased the latest and greatest Roku for the Living Room
(we already have it on the two upstairs sets)  Everything works smoothly...the cord
HAS been cut and iife is good. Msg me at r.payette2@gmail.com if you have questions,
concerns.

1 comment:

Joanne Quarz said...

Lol, I had to comment. Finally I had cable TV installed but only because I could save a bundle. I bought a smart TV when Jim was first diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma and it went into the guest bedroom. Now it is up and running in the living room and I have never watched it. I still will take a good book any day.